BABYHOOD IS THE PLATFORM FOR GENERATION NEXT- Bola Dele Olukoju


BABYHOOD IS THE PLATFORM FOR GENERATION NEXT- Bola Dele Olukoju

May we meet you please?
Okay, my name is Bola Dele-Olukoju. I’m a Radio/TV Talkshow host, presenting Babyhood; and an Advocate for Infant and Maternal wellbeing.

Why the babyhood programme?
Well, behind the concept of the Babyhood idea itself lies an amazing story.  I grew up in a home with a Professor father and a Chief Nursing Officer mother so I picked up some influence. And my husband was always fascinated with how engaging I could be with medical practitioners each time I was pregnant or when we had to visit the hospital with any of the children. With all sense of modesty, I was also quite knowledgeable about children education and general grooming, and replicated same with teachers, caregivers and minders in my children’s school. And so, somewhere along the line, my husband just came up with this idea, and said this passion could be better managed. And here we are!

Have you always wanted to be on radio or TV?
No, I’ve not always wanted to be on TV. I’m a Surveying and Geo-informatics graduate from the prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, and was practicing in Zaria and later, Lagos. All that changed when I met my husband. He read Mass Communication and Marketing. So, he’s the mass media person, and he believed the Babyhood idea could be better expressed through the mass media. So, he is the Executive Producer of the mass media platforms we deploy. I had a bit of pastime doing some TV stuff in Zaria though, as well as writing in local publications.

How much have you learnt from your baby to deliver the programme?
Hmmm! My children are a constant inspiration for me on this passion. There is a case study every time. When one is down with flu for instance, I interact with the Doctor on that, and research into whatever it is they diagnose, and then share my findings with other mothers. Similarly, if I find any issue on education, mother and child wellbeing fascinating, I make sure I share on my platforms with other parents. And I always ensure they hear directly only from those who are qualified to inform and educate them, those who are qualified by training and experience. So, I feature only top consultants and practitioners all the time. 

What are the challenges you face in presenting the programme?
Our main challenge, of course, has been, and remains funding. Patronage is a key issue; but I believe recognition of our relevance will come, and patronage with it. We do appreciate the fact that Sponsors have their own Sponsorship strategies which might include consideration for programme/station reach. Although we have an appreciable reach, increasingly breaking new grounds, and with capacity to extend even further one Quarter after another, we still don’t get patronage. I’m sure you understand the dynamics of Sponsorship in Nigeria. We remain hugely indebted to Promasidor believing in our dream and giving us the breath to birth babyhood, and we are enormously appreciative of Procter and Gamble for all their support. Getting the best of consultants to attend the programme, logistics, hasn’t been easy. We’ve had guests attending, even from outside the country. Most stations won’t allow you any credit, and banks don’t understand your kind of business. At a point, we had to rest our TV for lack of sponsorship. Now we have the TV back running, as well as the Radio, the Weekly, the very interactive website, and all our Quarterly events are back on track.

Do you think that babies are well represented in Nigerian media and law?
That will be a categorical No. Babies are not well represented in the Nigerian media and law, and this is one of the reasons for this intercession. My advocacy for mother and child wellbeing puts me in the position of discussing, and aggregating quality processes for having, and raising children in the mass media. And also, Child Rights and Protection has been part of my areas of focus.

What is the role of your husband and his reaction when you conceived the programme?
Like I explained to you earlier, he’s been there from the outset, and remains a pillar for the project. And I think his background in Mass Communication has been, and will remain an asset. He’s exceptionally supportive.

What plans do you have to take the babyhood programme to other media, and the internet?
We are already on several platforms, on the mass media and the new media. Beyond Babyhood Radio, Babyhood TV and the Babyhood Weekly, people have joined the babyhood conversation on www.babyhoodtv.tv, they follow us @babyhoodtv; they like us on www.facebook.com/babyhoodtv; they ping us on2369CBD9; and they e-mail us at us@babyhoodtv.tv. Our intention is to reach out to more people beyond mothers and aspiring mothers, and get to caregivers, other guardians and minders, professionals and artisans,grannies, aunties and uncles, older children, and indeed, all who have, or who may have dealings with children; how to bring about the conception, the birthing and raising of children. There’s the need to reach deeper into the communities and help mothers, children and families help themselves. And this is our intention with the Babyhood Development Foundation.

How supportive is corporate Nigeria?
Awareness is key, and we are reaching out intensively and extensively. Our events and activations are just a part of it. We know a lot of Corporate bodies seek creative content and programming. Other emerging organisations are looking for more Sponsorship, Advertising and Branding opportunities as we offer. We know they are out there, we will continue to look for them, and hope they find our platforms too, someday.

What would you have done if not the programme?
Well, I would have been a Paediatrician.

Where do you see the babyhood in 5 years?                                 
With all sense of modesty, I see babyhood beyond the skies in 5 years. I wouldn’t want to be told the sky is the limit when there are already footprints on the moon. (General laughter). We will put everything at it. It has gotten beyond a venture for personal benefits, and more people now rely on our platforms as resource destinations. We shouldn’t, and we would never let them down. My happiness is derived from the numbers of faces on which we put smiles. Nothing compares to seeing happy mothers, happy babies and happy families. That, for me, is fulfillment. And God willing, we would do much more.

How do you juggle your home and production of the programme?
Wow! That can be quite tasking, but I’m happy to say I’ve coped creditably. I have routines with the kids, which they understand. Homework is to be done by them with no interference, allowing them think for themselves and make their own mistakes, which they learn from.Playtime is only after homework, and they can only watch TV for not more than 30minutes each day, which I sit and watch together with them.
My work starts at 9am and ends by 2pm, because I do school runs. While they are at school, I prepare my interviews, research them, get my consultants and keep up with other appointments.
My hubby quite understands my routine, and basically offers all the support I may require. So my home front stays good, and my work schedule is very comfortable.

Comments